The lab is recruiting to fill two funded positions! This is a unique opportunity to join a highly collaborative and innovative team of researchers blending field ecology with cutting edge molecular biology to make a difference in conservation at important sites around the world and on campus at Brown University.
Please see posts specific to each position:
Providence and Brown University are wonderful places to live and work!
***Update: Corrected (and extended) submission deadline below!***
The lab is recruiting a new PhD student! This is a unique opportunity to join a collaborative partnership between our lab and Yellowstone National Park as we seek to understand relationships between diverse plant species and the migratory large herbivores that eat them (e.g., bison, elk, bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, deer). This NSF-funded position offers support for ample fieldwork, lab work, and training at state of the art facilities (e.g., herbaria, genomics centers, data science centers).
The project calls for a PhD student with broad interests in biology and will provide a supportive environment to learn new skills. If your interests and prior experiences intersect with any aspect of this project, you should consider applying! A botanist would have support to learn about wildlife ecology, and vice versa. A geneticist would have support to learn about field research, and vice versa. An ecologist would have support to learn about data science, and vice versa. Initial inquiries from prospective students are very welcome.
Prospective students will find it helpful to review information about joining our lab as well as information about our graduate program. If you are still interested, please send the PI an email to introduce yourself! I encourage prospective students to get in touch early in the recruiting process so that we can discuss ways to strengthen your application and the suitability of fellowship programs that could help advance your career.
Update: the advertisement for this PhD position originally listed December 1st as the application deadline; this does not match the official graduate school deadline, will not be until January 7th. All applications received by the official graduate school deadline will be given full consideration.
***Update: this position is closed***
The lab is hiring a new research assistant! This is a unique opportunity to join a sharp, friendly, and collaborative group of researchers who are making a difference in molecular ecology. The position is perfect for a college graduate seeking lab experience and publication opportunities before graduate school. A brief description is below.
The lab of Dr. Tyler Kartzinel at Brown University (www.kartzinellab.com) is seeking a Research Assistant to support research on the diets, microbiomes, and metagenomes of wildlife. The Research Assistant will devote ~80% of their time to specific research projects and the remaining ~20% time to general maintenance and lab support. The Research Assistant will be welcomed as a full lab member and be expected to attend lab meetings and to contribute to a supportive and interactive lab atmosphere. The Research Assistant will interface with varied research facilities including the Brown University Genomics Facility, Brown University Herbarium, Brown Center for Animal Resources and Education and diverse collaborators on our NSF-funded projects around the world. This is a unique opportunity to become deeply involved in exciting research at the interface of ecology, genetics, and conservation. As such, it is well-suited for a college graduate seeking additional experience before graduate school.
The individual who fills the position will have opportunities to collaborate on important partnerships around the world. Please see our Research Page for examples of funded projects that are relevant to the position. Please see our People Page to get a sense for the diversity of collaborative research projects happening in the lab.
Find full details in the the official job description. This be available to everyone starting July 17th, 2021 on Brown's Career Site. Search for "REQ171870" to find the posting and apply! We plan to begin reviewing positions in July and hope to fill the position early in the fall of 2021, but we will continue reviewing applications until the position is filled. Please email the PI with any inquiries about the position.